A wide-ranging conversation with astrophysicist Prof. Ulf Danielsson on how we understand this universe and why we keep confusing our maps with the territory. We also hear about a life-changing comet, a secret promise and why conscious machines are highly unlikely.
Ulf Danielsson is professor of theoretical physics at Uppsala University, with a special research interest in dark energy and string theory. He has participated in countless radio and TV shows and written several popular science books on topics ranging from the history and philosophy of science to climate change.
- Ulf’s website: ulfdanielsson.com/research/ .
- Ted Talk ‘Why the World is for Real’: https://youtu.be/9ciSyQ6Lzgk .
SUGGESTED FURTHER READING:
- M. Johnson G. Lakoff Philosophy in the flesh (1991)
- A. Damasio Descartes Error (1994)
- T. Nagel The View from Nowhere (1986) (Ulf refers to Nagel’s paper, “What is it like to be a bat?”)
Support us on Patreon!: patreon.com/forestofthought
Share and subscribe. We’re available on most podcast apps, including:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2ue3XA6IQQLC05FQMINuy1
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/…/podcast/forest-of…/id1508610729
- Links to all platforms: https://anchor.fm/forestofthought