What is this this mysterious thing we call “an idea”? What is its nature and power? We posed these questions to human ecologist and historian of ideas Per Johansson, who had some unexpected and intriguing answers. Join us in our latest adventure into the Forest of Thought!
Per has a PhD in human ecology, and a BA in the history of science and ideas. In 2007 he left his post as senior lecturer at Lund university and has since then been active as a speaker, analyst, writer, consultant, and maker of podcast shows. His podcast series with prize-winning radio and culture journalist Eric Schüldt have reached something of a cult status in Sweden: Människan och maskinen (for Swedish national radio), Kunskapens träd and Myter & Mysterier (independent). His main concern is to turn our Western mentality around and base our both personal and advanced forms of understanding on actual experiences and sensations, rather than on conceptual representations.
- Per’s website: diakrino-perjohansson.blogspot.com
- Människan och maskinen (Swedish): sverigesradio.se/manniskanochmaskinen
- Kunskapens träd, Myter och mysterier (Swedish): myterochmysterier.se
SUGGESTED READINGS FROM PER:
- Randall Collins, The Sociology of Philosophies: A Global Theory of Intellectual Change.
- Alfred Gell, Art and Agency: An Anthropological Theory.
- Siegfried Zielinski, Deep Time of the Media: Toward an Archaeology of Hearing and Seeing by Technical Means.
- Henri Bergson, Creative Evolution.
- Per Johansson, The Lure of Origins: https://portal.research.lu.se/ws/files/4580518/912853.pdf .
It’s now possible to support us on Patreon! Visit patreon.com/forestofthought . When you join the Patreon community you’ll also be able to access bonus material and extended episodes.
Share and subscribe. We’re available on most podcast apps, including:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2ue3XA6IQQLC05FQMINuy1
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/…/podcast/forest-of…/id1508610729
- Links to all platforms: https://anchor.fm/forestofthought