It’s been said that it’s easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism and our modern way of life. Why is it so hard for us to cultivate our imagination and to imagine that things might be different? What becomes possible if communities harness the power of imagination in building a more beautiful world? In this episode I speak to Rob Hopkins, writer and co-founder of the Transition movement. I visit him in the Buttercup Field and we discuss what might be possible if we moved from ‘What is’ to ‘What if?’
Rob Hopkins is the co-founder of Transition Network and of Transition Town Totnes, and author of several books including ‘The Transition Handbook‘ and most recently, ‘From What Is to What If: unleashing the power of imagination to create the future we want’. He is a Director of Totnes Community Development Society and of New Lion Brewery, and hosts the podcast ‘From What If to What Next‘.
Thank you for listening!
- Rob’s website: https://www.robhopkins.net
- Rob’s podcast: https://www.robhopkins.net/podcast/
- Transition Towns: https://transitionnetwork.org
- Joanna Macy & ‘The work that reconnects’ : https://www.joannamacy.net
- Jane McGonigal on the things that can change in 10 years: https://janemcgonigal.com
- Civic imagination office in Bologna: https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-03-07/bologna-the-city-with-a-civic-imagination-office/
- Antanas Mockus, ex-mayor of Bogota: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/opinion/the-art-of-changing-a-city.html
- New Lion Brewery in Totnes: https://www.newlionbrewery.co.uk
Support us on Patreon: patreon.com/forestofthought
Share and subscribe! Find all available platforms here: https://anchor.fm/forestofthought
Our theme music is by Christian Holtsteen at stoneproduction.no.
Be First to Comment